Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fun and Frivolous (Time Travel songs #3, 4, 5)

In my continuing quest for time-travel themed songs, I came across these few that are pretty cool, if the lyrics are not directly related to time travel, the videos are!


WILL2K
When Will Smith was at the height of his fame, he wrote this song to ring in the new millenium of the year 2000. (I can't believe we're on the cusp of the next decade!) The video is the stand-out, employing a hand-held time machine and great effects and choreography as Will and his buddies Jazzy Jeff and KC (From the group KC & Jo-Jo) travel to distinct eras of time to party like it's 1999. A lot of fun and a real catchy beat and song sampling that only Will Smith can provide.



Smiley Faces
Gnarles Barkley

The lyrics have nothing to do with time-travel, but it's really funky. The video is cool, somewhat documentary style-with none other than Dean Stockwell (The Observer Al Calavicci of Quantum Leap) making a quick cameo. It shows Barkley and his friend being caught on film/photos throughout historic times in music history...but never aging. This idea brought to mind the Voyagers episode, 'Cleo and the Babe'...remember how the press took pictures of Phineas in 1919, super-pitching for the Red Sox? Where do you think those news clippings went? They must still exist, along with his name in glaring print on the sports page!

It's all been done
By: Barenaked Ladies (What a band name...yeessh!)

It's all been done: Official video This song took me back to my teenhood:P I never considered it's time travel possibilities before today. It's a peppy love song from the late 90's, sang in that fifties/early sixties style. The majority of the lyrics are what make it part of my TT collection. It vaguely reminds me of Phineas and his 'loves' throughout the ages...cheeky boy!
I met you before the fall of Rome
And I begged you to let me take you home
You were wrong, I was right
You said goodbye, I said goodnight

It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before

I knew you before the west was won
And I heard you say the past
was much more fun
You go your way, I go mine
But I'll see you next time

It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before

And if I put my fingers here, and if I say
"I love you, dear"
And if I play the same three chords,
Will you just yawn and say

It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before

Alone and bored on a thirtieth-century night
Will I see you on The Price Is Right?
Will I cry? Will I smile?
As you run down the aisle?

It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before



Kashmir
By: Led Zepplin
Great song and guitar/instrumental solos in this one! The lyrics remind me of Phineas (or to be fair, any Voyager) wearily traveling through time and cosmos, having deep internal conversations of existentialism and dealing with the Council at Voyagers Headquarters. It would be interesting for a video.



Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream
I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, whose sounds caress my ear
But not a word I heard could I relate, the story was quite clear
Oh, oh.

Oh, I been flying... mama, there aint no denyin
Ive been flying, aint no denyin, no denyin

All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where Ive been.

Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, yellow desert stream
My shangri-la beneath the summer moon, I will return again
Sure as the dust that floats high and true, when movin through kashmir.

Oh, father of the four winds, fill my sails, across the sea of years
With no provision but an open face, along the straits of fear
Ohh.

When Im on, when Im on my way, yeah
When I see, when I see the way, you stay-yeah

Ooh, yeah-yeah, ooh, yeah-yeah, when Im down...
Ooh, yeah-yeah, ooh, yeah-yeah, well Im down, so down
Ooh, my baby, ooooh, my baby, let me take you there

Let me take you there. let me take you there

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be a horribly long reply, but off the top of my head, I think my favourite time travelly song is Queen's '39 - the sort of song that can only be written by a man with a doctorate in astrophysics. ;) It's set in the future, when the Earth is old, and volunteers are asked to travel into space to look for another habitable planet. Because they're travelling at speeds close to that of light, time moves more slowly for them than it does for the people left back on Earth, so when they return, their loved ones have grown old and died, whilst they're still young. Here's the original version off the album, but personally I prefer it done live. This is a terrific live performance from 1979. They have a tendency to get somewhat enthused about it live, which is always fun to watch. ;)

    The lyrics:

    In the year of '39
    Assembled here the volunteers
    In the days when lands were few
    Here the ship sailed out into the blue and sunny morn
    The sweetest sight ever seen
    And the night followed day
    And the story tellers say
    That the score brave souls inside
    For many a lonely day
    Sailed across the milky seas
    Never looked back, never feared, never cried

    Don't you hear my call
    Though you're many years away
    Don't you hear me calling you
    Write your letters in the sand
    For the day I'll take your hand
    In the land that our grandchildren knew

    In the year of '39
    Came a ship in from the blue
    Volunteers came home that day
    And they bring good news
    Of a world so newly born
    Though their hearts so heavily weigh
    For the earth is old and grey
    Little darling we'll away
    But my love this cannot be
    Oh so many years have gone
    Though I'm older than a year
    Your mothers eyes from your eyes cry to me

    Don't you hear my call
    Though you're many years away
    Don't you hear me calling you
    Write your letters in the sand
    For the day I'll take your hand
    In the land that our grandchildren knew

    Don't you hear my call
    Though you're many years away
    Don't you hear me calling you
    All your letters in the sand
    Cannot heal me like your hand
    For my life still ahead pity me

    And now I have to go catch up on chapter five of your book blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW..I've never heard this one and I do love Queen's music, though I tend to veer toward their eighties/nineties and 'Highlander' stuff, lol. That is great! Thanks for sharing more tunes.

    ReplyDelete

You smart kids give me a pain…
Comments, thoughts, and ideas are appreciated!