Somewhere in Time (Time Travel instrumental theme & Song)


Ahhh, just bask in the beautiful theme song by John Barry. It takes my breath away. I think it is one of the most wonderful scores ever composed for film. This song comes from the movie of the same title, starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour as the love-struck, era-displaced couple. It is a time-travel romantic fantasy, though I honestly don't prefer the method of Time-travel with self-hypnosis. The ending, which while beautifully lavish and romantic to most, was devastating for me.

The movie fared poorly when it was released in 1980. I'm beginning to think that time travel was just a big no-no in the Entertainment industry of the early eighties. It seemed to be too much for audiences then. They preferred gritty, emotional dramas, sex-crazed 'teen comedies' and over the top soap operatics. Despite the fact that many movies and shows like ~The Twilight Zone~ featured time travel. It was sadly their loss...but the future's gain.

There is a massive Fan Club for Somewhere in time that even has conventions. Here is their lovely website —

The International Network of Somewhere In Time Enthusiasts

I highly recommend purchasing the original soundtrack, it's one of those you play on rainy or like today, massively snowy days with nothing to do but stare at the swirling flakes and find yourself drifting into far away lands and adventures...though never forgetting this is entirely romantic as well.

Below are a few vocal versions I found with all different lyrics...amazing!





Somewhere in Time

Composed by: John Barry

Sung by: Various Artists



Somewhere in time

We met on timeless hills

And in the evening mist we kissed

And time stood still

Before the dawn, we found forever

Moments are timeless when I feel your caress


You'll always be inside of me

And I know when love is true

It's always with you


Somewhere in time

I came to realize

Love never goes


Love never goes

Once it has touched your heart

Just like the strength of wine that's left

As two lips part

A taste of love will linger after

I know the meaning of all that I see


You'll always be inside of me

And I know when love is true

It's always with you


Somewhere in time

I came to realize

Love never goes




Somewhere in Time

sung by: Michael Crawford



Where there is time

there is tomorrow.

somewhere in time,

all sorrows pass to memories.

and so the end is the beginning


somewhere in time,

we are as we are meant to be

Where there is time,

there is a circle

somewhere in time the circle

yearns to be complete

though you may feel this is illusion,

somewhere in time,

i know we're certain to meet

Somewhere in time,

love is forever

a love that's here

a love that's now to last for all time.

somehow i know this moment is waiting

somewhere in time

Where there is time, there is a circle

somewhere in time the circle will be complete

somewhere in time love is forever

a love that's here

a love that's now to last for all time.

Somehow i know

this moment's waiting

somewhere in time ...





Somewhere in Time

Somewhere in time

You came into my world

Love was beyond what I imagined love would be

Now just a dream

I hold till the end of time

Hoping someday we'll find what we left behind


There'll come a day

Our paths will meet again

We'll cross the bridge of time and space to a love that's free

No more goodbye

No lonely waiting

That'll be our day to love,to live all our dreams


If we believe and keep alive

The hope that love will stand the test of distance and time

Then we shall find our new tomorrow

Somewhere in time



Someday there'll be no time between us

There'll just be endless days for us to love and share

We'll rise above the tears of our lonely years

Into a world beyond today

In another somewhere…


There you have it. With all the versions of this song, its like asking, 'How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a toosie pop?' Hey, maybe I should write one for Voyagers! hehe.

While the vocals are great, I prefer to swoon to the fantastic instrumentals and the soaring piano, all the while imagining the beautiful Phineas Bogg...somehwere in time!

Comments

  1. Awwwww. So beautiful! Thanks so much for posting. This part of of "Somwhere on Time" by John Berry reminded me of how Bogg must have felt about Mabel: "Somewhere in time I came to realize Love never goes." Simply beautiful.

    And Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour are a lovely couple. :)

    Oh and what a beautiful thought to "imagine the beautiful Phineas Bogg...somewhere in time!" ;)

    Loved it Ginger!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You smart kids give me a pain…
Comments, thoughts, and ideas are appreciated!