Voyagers: Chapter 5 Analysis (Sadness!)

(Poor little Jeffy...didn't he seem so tiny in the pilot but then grew up so fast by Titanic? That's puberty for you!)

There's really nothing in this chapter that I haven't already blogged about in my character study called, 'The Bogg & Jeff Dynamic.' In fact, that one is pretty in-depth in regards to the scene. So, this is a short blog post. The differences between what's in the novel and the episode are sparse, so I'll focus on those.

"Can it! You're stuck with me until you put me back in my room where you found me...besides, you don't know anything about history. Without me, you'd mess the whole thing up!"
The author decides to give us a sweet little insight into Bogg's reaction.  As I've stated in a previous blog, we all know that Bogg was already somewhat attached to Jeffrey, he just had a funny way of showing it...well, rather a cranky way, especially at this scene.
'Bogg looked down at him, with a curious gleam in his eye. The anger was gone. He seemed amused, probably more at himself than anything else. Jeff was relieved that Bogg didn't even try to deny what he just said.
That tiny bonding moment is shattered when Bogg makes the accusation that Jeffrey did his own father in, then you have the dramatic chase on the beach with Bogg cradling Jeffrey in his arm sincerely apologetic over the incident.
The series took a nice approach by showing the boys resting on seaside rocks with the gorgeous scenery. The book has them continuing their walk along the beach with Jeffrey telling him about the tragic accident, then Jeffrey decides to plop down in the sand.
So, Phineas tells him gently, "And you've been blaming yourself?...You couldn't have done a thing kid, not a thing."

The novel gives Phineas a chance to relate one of his own stories, about Napoleon (No wonder he wears the shabby coat!)

"You want to talk about blame,...I'll tell you about me and Waterloo. See, Napoleon was never supposed to be there. The guidebook had a plan for the General. This doctor in Paris was supposed to put him in the hospital for his ulcer. The trouble as, I couldn't find the hospital, and..."
This really caught my interest. According to this line, the Guidebook/Headquarters makes its own history and what we know as the correct one, was really wrong? (Okay, did that make sense?) But, now I wonder, if it was such an historical error for Napoleon to be at Waterloo, why didn't they send another Voyager as backup, or go back and try again to fix it? That's a pretty big historical foul up to let slide. Phineas must have charmed his way out of trouble for that one! Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading or someone telling me that Guidebook rewrites itself. After thinking it over now, that's possible. I mean, everytime you make a change in history, something in the future is going to change, that means the information would automatically be updated. Cool.

The idea employed here reminds me of Quantum Leap, and a very powerful two-part episode called 'Lee Harvey Oswald.' Sam Leaps into the body of Oswald twice at different times during the man's life. At the pivotal moment where he's supposed to pull the trigger to kill President Kennedy, he leaps. The big struggle there was that Sam's swiss-cheese memory caused his mind to merge with Oswald, taking on his rough and mean characteristics from time to time, right down to that final moment. (Hence you see Al having a panic attack and trying to bring Sam back to his senses!)
Sam's next leap is into the bodyguard behind the motorcade. The shots are fired and he races to the car to save Jackie Kennedy.  Al, his observer, later tells him that by doing that he changed history...in the real history, Jackie was supposed to die too! Thus Sam's intervention created the time line of history that we all know...that's so fascinating.
    
 

Back to Voyagers...so as every kid would naturally do, Phineas barely gets to the heart of his Waterloo story when Jeffrey is in a tear-stained sleep on the sand. Why are adults so boring? hehehe..Phineas could talk to me for hours..but wait, I'm an adult..

So, he puts his coat over him, checks the blinking red omni and says,  

"Dayton, Ohio, where we will visit the bicycle shop of the Wright brothers."

Just putting this in because I love this image on the rocks, this is a wallpaper I made not too long ago.




Comments

  1. Ginger these post get better and better! This one was very interesting, the idea that the guidebook makes its own history Wow that really makes you wonder why would the guidebook do that ? Jeffrey did seem so young in the pilot and then he grew like a weed. I agree with you about listening to Bogg for hours that voice of his fantastic.I love the wallpaper you did it is beautiful. Thank-you for these great posts. EmilyW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    Thank you again for the nice comments. Maybe the Voyagers are a race that have their own designs for earth, but of course, things don't always go as planned.:P That is one of my favorite walls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog G! That was actually really interesting! I've never thought of it like that! "Guidebook/Headquarters makes its own history and what we know as the correct one, was really wrong?" Now that's somethin' to think about!

    Oh and that "beach scene" was just too sad. But i loved it how Bogg grabbed Jeffrey and apologized. It really showed his love for that kid. :)

    Oh and I totally noticed how he looked like he grew a foot by the end of the series. OK maybe not a foot but 6 inches?! lol. Well however tall he grew he seemed and acted older. And Bogg's and his relationship changed too. At the first it was more "father-son" and as time went on it was "brother-brother." :)

    Bravo G! Ya made an other wise short and not so exciting chapter fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you have it right: The Guidebook does automatically update itself. Gives one a lot of ideas about the possible nature of the thing. ;D

    As for the Napoleon thing...maybe he was deliberately mixing up the history to distract the kid like he did in "Cleo and the Babe"? ;P Seriously, though, my guess is that somebody pointed out the MAJOR discrepancies inherent in that story, and that's probably why it got deleted from the final script.

    Now, to go off topic a bit. When I finally get to see "Lee Harvey Oswald," I won't be a bit surprised to find out that Belisario wrote that one himself. He knew Oswald very well in the Marines and has gone on record as saying that all the conspiracy talk about Kennedy's assassination is just so much felgercarb; Oswald was definitely capable of carrying out such an operation entirely on his own. As for why he was himself killed afterward is anybody's guess; my personal opinion is that the other guy was just that ticked off at him for doing it. People were really bent out of shape for weeks after it heppened, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

    Margaret, you definitely nailed the shifting nature of their relationship; by "All Fall Down," I had also noticed that they were starting to behave more like brothers. I saw the same thing happen between my father and my brothers as they grew up (and between one of my brothers and HIS son), so I suspect it's a natural shift; it makes me think that seeing it happen between Bogg and Jeff paradoxically emphasizes the father-son relationship.

    In a way, it's a pity that "Remember the Alamo" wasn't aired as it was written; there's a priceless scene in there where Bogg leaves Jeff to go rescue a girl from the massacre at the Alamo; as he's getting ready to go, Jeff mutters, "Be careful, Bogg. You're the only father I've got."

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jake, I think it might have been you who told me about the neat guidebook trick! lol.
    They probably edited just as you said...too much of a discrepancy to explain..I mean, the show didn't even explain much about the capabilities of the omni, nor take us into the what Voyager school was like or show us the contents of the Guidebook..boo! Good thing us fans have big imaginations! ;)
    And you didn't go off topic with QL, I started it, lol. That's a great tidbit about Bellisario. I remember hearing something similar. It wouldn't surprise me either if there was no conspiracy.
    And as for the boys, I agree, as Jeffrey matured, so did the nature of his relationship with Bogg. They did become more like brothers, and Jeffrey wasn't afraid to speak his mind, or talk back (not in a bad sense though)
    What a beautiful line by Jeff. It's such a shame we never got to see those last episodes. They could have at least finished off one complete season of 23 or 24 episodes for the fans. It makes me wonder if any of those scripts ever got partially filmed and if so, who has the film? I guess that would be a question to ask Meeno.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Margaret, Meeno himself has said he's about 5'9, that's pretty much average height for a guy I think. Not tall, but not short. I don't know about Headquarters making it's own history, but maybe they have plans...still, history is truly following a certain course, at least major events, if not our individual lives, we can always change what we want,when and how. But I think it's more of a matter of the guidebook updating whenever history is altered. The beach scene is one of the most outstanding scenes. That would be a good video to make, well, I mean, the clips of sweet moments between Bogg and Jeff. It would probably take up 2-3 videos, lol. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...Interesting idea; somehow it never occurred to me, about the films, I mean. I may just have to work up my nerve to e-mail him again and ask!

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I've done it. I've asked Meeno if those episodes were partially filmed; I should be getting an e-mail back before too long. I'll post it here when it comes.

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how I was just re-reading your comment! Let's hope it's more than..'Nope.' LOL. Thanks! That would be so cool if they ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you've read some of his e-mails! LOL

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got an e-mail from Meeno today; and OMG, he answered it with more...a LOT more...than just one or two words! Here it is:

    The question:
    During a discussion on a Voyagers blog, the subject came up of three scripts that were written, but never produced. Were any scripts partially filmed before the studio got the cancellation notice? If so, do you know if the film still exists somewhere?

    The answer:
    That would be a great coup to come across some gem like that. But no, we were signed on to shoot a certain number of shows for each season and we turned those in. If I recall correctly, it was between seasons that we found out we weren't marshaling forward. One of the great wastes in TV history. It was because we were up against 60 Minutes, the highest rated show, that we ultimately just couldn't keep producing the expensive show that we were. We were the victims of what was known then as the second TV syndrome. Tons of people were watching our show on the other TV in the house, while the main one with the Neilson box atop it was tuned to troubles of the contemporaneous world. Punkey Brewster took our time slot and did amazingly well for years......

    M E E N O

    Personally, I think it's kind of neat that the inheritor of the Voyager's time slot was a show starring Meeno's sister... ;D

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is SO AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing that. I guess sometimes a show would learn ahead of time that they aren't going anywhere, though lately it seems they get canned out of nowhere. How's that for a kick in the tuba? Punky Brewster took the time slot, another show about an intelligent, adorable orphan. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. And Meeno said it all, 'One of the great wastes in tv history.'

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wrote back to him with that comment about his sister getting his old time slot; he wrote back calling it one of "the great ironies of life."

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jake, where do you know Meeno from? I'd L O V E to get in contact with him, getting to know him personally would be one point on my "things to do before you die"-list, if I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He has a website at meenophoto.com. When the site comes up, click anywhere on the screen; when the next window opens, the bottom of the screen will give you a choice of "e-mail" or "blog." He's really a great guy, and he certainly seems to enjoy discussing Voyagers! with us, as the above reply from him shows. Have fun!

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Jake.
    I knew about the website, I just didn't assume he would answer to anyone. I was planning to do something slightly original, like sending him a photo of our public library, and telling him it's because of him that I spent half of my childhood and youth in there, but that didn't work.
    So you say I could just e-mail him? I also wasn't sure if he isn't bored or annoyed about being asked about Voyagers! again and again, but you say he enjoys it? That's great. I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hola,
    To be honest, I've always been nervous to email. I've left a few comments here and there on his blog photos, but that's about it. I know I emailed him once when I first created my website. I just felt a little odd about doing it again. I assume he knows now what's out there and the resurgence of love for this old series, lol. I do know he'd definitely be up for an interview if Jon's bio was ever written, but that's not in the works right now.
    Someone once suggested I create a Voyagers! Coffee table book. I LOVE coffee table books, if I ever made one, I would want it to be for this, and one on old Brooklyn, but there are tons of those. It's all been done. And like Jake and I discussed before, the copyrights would be outrageous. Still, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dolores, one thing I need to point out to you: Don't be put off if you only get a one- or two-word answer from him; that seems to be his norm. His answer to my question is positively verbose for him, though he can and often does get wordy in his blog. I guess it depends on the topic and how busy he is at the time.

    Try sending the picture of the library; it's not clear whether you actually did it or not. If you did and he didn't answer, well, that's highly unusual; it's possible the e-mail never reached him, but got lost in alphabet heaven somewhere along the way.

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  20. He doesn't mind repeat e-mails. Morgan Jacobs has a fairly regular correspondence going on with him, and he even gave her permission to use his name in one of her fics.

    I understand he doesn't read fics unless someone sends him a link to a specific story; I imagine the same thing goes with websites. Between work and his family, I suppose he doesn't have a lot of time to just go browing. Try sending him a link to your website and see what happens.

    I imagine he wouldn't be at all averse to interviewing for a bio of Jon. He's admitted that, to this day, it still hurts; I'd guess all the exaggerations and falsehoods out there about him hurt more, and he'd probably jump at the chance to set the record straight. ;D

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete
  21. No, I didn't send the photo, because I didn't know how to attach a picture to that little window that opens when you click on e-mail, since it isn't designed like a normal e-mail interface. I'm just not very handy. You know, I was always flunked in computer class, by my own... brother, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute. Nice twist on the quote. Anyway, try blocking and copying the picture into the body of the e-mail and see if that works.

    ---Jake

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You smart kids give me a pain…
Comments, thoughts, and ideas are appreciated!