Voyagers Fan Guidebook Updates


In order to keep myself focused on writing my book, because I get easily discouraged and tend to jump from project to project or flake-out, I thought it'd be a good idea to blog on my progress with fans.

I'm still doing an initial run of editing and it's shaping up nicely. It took 3 days, but I went through my entire binder of notes and printed articles with the RPOD- Red Pen Of Death – and checked off what I'd already included in the chapter, and circled what needs to be added.

I've ordered a special hard-to-find 22 yr. old book about Sci-fi TV shows, that i bought very used, only because it has a chapter for Voyagers! with what looks like some good material I can glean. It may be something different.

I went through a stack of handwritten notes I'd made from watching each episode and whipped out that RPOD. I realized I missed "Old Hickory and the Pirate," (Admittedly NOT a favorite.) Somehow I'd also lost the sheets to the first half of "Cleo and the Babe." There's "All Fall down," and unbelievably, because it's truly my favorite – "Jack's Back." I'll have no problem rewatching that one.


I got word that besides "Merry Christmas, Bogg" being his favorite, Jon-Erik really loved making "Jack's Back" because he was fanatically into the stories of Jack the Ripper!! That's something you'd never read in Teen Beat for sure! 😂  I imagine the female fans would be so weirded out about that back then.

For me it's because I admire Nellie Bly and love Sherlock Holmes, and it's just a very well-written mystery episode. My favorite kind of genre.

My handwritten notes contain important episode quotes, little things i catch like goofs, or historical facts that can be commented upon in the book chapters. And my overall impressions and theories. I can't believe how sloppy I wrote, but I was trying to watch and take fast notes at the same time. Oh the horror…I'll have to watch the missing episodes now and get out my notepad! 😉

Once I got all the notes down, I'll start my 2nd round of edits going through that binder and adding stuff.

I'm gazing at Royalty Free stock photo sites to find the perfect picture for my cover. I can't afford to license real show images, but I can find cool imagery that represents the Voyagers! world. I might just stick with what Canva.com offers, because you can make the cover with them.


One idea I had was a black leather design with the title in gold leaf like the real Voyagers Guidebook. Another idea was red and green cosmos or the brass gears to represent the inner workings of the omni. There's plenty of time before I get to that stage. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I'm very fond of the image I put above, but I also have to remember that the book needs to be formatted to 6x9 and it should be vertical. 

I'm also pouring over blogs and learning a ton of eye-opening facts about Self-Publishing and the Do's and Don'ts. There's a lot of scams out there so it's very useful advice. This time I won't get cold feet. Writing the book is just the tip of the iceberg. A self-published author also has to be a businessperson. Which I'm totally not. But it's a learning experience.

Comments